Saturday, January 3, 2015

What Did You Expect Buckeye Fans?

     Tell the Truth. You might need a second to remember exactly what you thought when you heard Braxton Miller was carted off the practice field with a shoulder injury, but tell the truth. How did you see this season turning out? If you said the Buckeyes were going to be playing for a National Championship even I would have called you a homer. Or made you pee in a cup.
      I know I was completely upset when I heard the Heisman candidate QB wouldn't play this season.  I quickly brought up JT Barrett on my phone to see what I had forgotten about him since recruiting.  I checked out Cardale Jones also but mainly remembered his unfortunate Tweet about class and school.  I checked the schedule.  I picked out where our rookie QB would struggle and cost us games. I was disappointed OSU wouldn't get to play in the first ever college playoffs. I had us losing 2 games, one early and one late that cost us that shot. 
     Staying positive I imagined Miller back and great in 15 and mystery QB strong and experienced in 16 and beyond. I figured Urban Meyers' plan for the program to contend for titles really kicked in next year anyway. I KNEW this would just make OSU Football more dominate for the foreseeable future! But I didn't see this.
      I didn't understand fully the power of team will, team mindset, team camaraderie, TEAM.  After Va.Tech fingers could have been pointed, factions formed, but that didn't happen.  The coaching staff pulled guys together, the quality leadership on the team helped teach and motivate, and Coach Meyer stayed calm.  The leadership and aura coming from the HC filtered throughout the team, campus, and fan base.
      That leadership bred team wide confidence.  A team that got better and knew it.  A team confident that if they could win handily at Michigan State they could win anywhere.  A team that never faltered when JT Barrett was carted off against Michigan and took HIS Heisman worthy stats and ability with him.  A confidence that allowed Cardale Jones to seamlessly step in and run an offensive SHOW at the Big Ten Championship.  That game marked the most complete game I can remember in recent Oho State football history. Offense, defense and special teams all displayed the confidence that has been Urban Meyer.
     And then the Sugar Bowl.  The confident, prepared and properly motivated Buckeyes never felt the pressure of being down to the great SEC king Alabama.  They never lost their head like Florida State had done earlier in the day.  They never let nerves, crowd noise or questionable refereeing get n the way of execution.  They outplayed a supposedly better team in ever facet because they KNEW they could.
     This Buckeye team has no limits. To think any different would be foolish at this point. This should have been what I expected when Braxton Miller went down. I should have remembered instantly what I know to be true, that this is Ohio State football and greatness is always within reach.
      Win or lose against Oregon it has been a very memorable season that starts a tradition of being in these playoffs.  And for years to come that, Buckeyes fan, is what you can expect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey-

If this writing thing is something you'd like to do with a bit of a bigger audience, hit us up.

thebuckeyebattlecry (at) gmail (dot) com